The locality adopted its name from a mineral spring first documented by chemist Andreas Sigismund Marggraf about 1748, later site of the Luisenbad spa, named after Queen Louise of Prussia. The area became a popular destination for day-trippers and, after its incorporation into the city of Berlin in 1861, a densely settled working-class district. From 1905 the sports field near the Berlin-Gesundbrunnen station, later Stadion am Gesundbrunnen, was the home ground of the Hertha BSC Berlin football club.
The Humboldthain urban park, finished in 1876, from 1942 was the site of two large flak towers. The northern tower, due to its location near the Ringbahn tracks, was not blown up after World War II. Partly interred by rubble it today serves as a viewpoint and climbing wall with tours through the interior available.